‘The Nature Restorers’ series spotlights uplifting stories of grassroots nature restoration in Devon, showing the power of channelling funds to the local projects who are best-placed to restore nature in the places they love.
Plastic Free North Devon protects and improves our environment through community-led action: tackling plastic pollution head-on; facilitating sustainable behavioural change; and inspiring reconnection with nature.
It is an exemplary organisation that ‘gets stuff done’, punching far above its weight with impact and outcomes.
DEF’s funding enabled PFND to pilot ideas, build impactful campaigns, and cover some core funding costs for the team.
Some highlights of what DEF has helped them to achieve:
- Repair Café expanded to 6 locations, repairing over 350 items so far, preventing future waste,
- 7 Beach Toy Libraries now installed, widely used, receiving fantastic press coverage,
- Hired an administrator to give expert support to the team and nurture the volunteers,
- Rolled out their King’s Coronation Green Event Guide and supported many local events and festivals in reducing waste,
- Set up new regular beach cleans at Instow Beach, adding to their beach clean locations,
- Reached over 120,000 people with eco messaging/resources via holiday accommodation providers!
Devon Environment Foundation specialises in identifying beacon projects that are making a tangible difference for nature on the ground, helping them to scale up and showcase best practice to amplify their impact.
Find out more about DEF’s Plastic Free North Devon project here.
See the range of DEF’s grassroots nature restoration projects here.
Help DEF raise vital funds to support more brilliant projects like this by spreading the word and/or by making a donation here.
Together we can make even more good things happen for nature in Devon!