In October 2020 DEF awarded Till the Coast Is Clear, a local CIC that organises community beach cleans, with £15,000 to support their vital work keeping South Devon rivers, estuaries, and coastline as clean as possible.
Here’s a mini update on their progress so far…
- Estimated two tonnes of plastic pollution recovered from South Devon coast & shorelines (October 2020 to February 2021).
- Also 10 x Duke of Edinburgh students from KCC, Exeter School, Churston Grammar School – all beach cleaning under their own steam using TTCIC equipment wearing branded caps and tabards.
- Plastic recovered from the coast is taken back to the yard, and sorted for upcycling and recycling where possible.
BINS FOR OCEAN PLASTIC
- Thurlestone Golf Course – DEF/TTCIC/Thurlestone Golf Course co-banded recycled plastic bins going into Yarma and Lees Foot beaches to encourage public support and involvement.
- 8 x new co-branded extra large recycled plastic bins going into strategic locations on South Devon Coast.
- Coordinating with National Trust Torbay & South Hams to specifically target; Scobbiscombe Sands, Soar Mill Cove, Pudcombe Cove, Ayrmer Cove.
- Coordinating with Flete Estate to help clear Mothecombe Beach, Wonwell Beach and Erme Estuary with local groups post lockdown.
- Working with the private land owner and tenant farmer to access Westcombe Beach to remove pollution to the road head.
- Social Prescribing Partners – SHAW & Wembury Medical Centre will begin to refer services users to TTCIC post lockdown.
- Pathfinder Scheme – Devon & Cornwall Constabulary restorative justice scheme whereby TTCIC will be taking volunteers on clean up missions to help them rehabilitate and contribute to the community.
NEW SAFETY BOAT
- New support/safety boat obtained – due to be launched mid March on arrival of new engine from Darthaven Marine.
- Co branded DEF & will be used as a safety boat for kayak volunteers and as a support boat for Coast Clear One when access to tricky locations/ large quantities of pollution.
SOCIAL MEDIA METRICS
Facebook – 1503 followers
(Post reach Jan-Feb 6877 +131%)
Instagram – 556 followers +5.9% vs Jan
- Gary spoke at an online evening talk hosted by Wembury Environment Group with 50 participants – and received great feedback.
For more information about Till the Coast is Clear visit: www.tillthecoastisclear.co.uk